AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates. First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date.
This is a time-limited position for an Astrophysicist (Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Astrostatistics) in the International CHASC Astrostatistics Collaboration group at the High Energy Astrophysics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The employee works under the direction of an Astrophysicist within the Division. The purpose of this position is to train postdoctoral researchers to conceive, plan and conduct highly specialized research in the incumbent's area of expertise.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
1. Participate in and carry out scientific research and scholarship involving a program of astrostatistics, applied methodology, and algorithm development for high energy astrophysics data.
2. Assist in simulations and modeling of data; or assist in the development of analytical methods and/or software to model physical processes and conditions; or assist in designing, development, and verification of software for data analysis as needed.
3. Engage in the dissemination of results: prepare papers for publication in scientific journals, present results at conferences. Participate in meetings and conferences to discuss current research and to exchange data and ideas with other scientists.
4. Engage in wider research and scholarly activities of the research group.
5. Mentor and assist, as appropriate and as directed; give advice on analysis techniques and scientific approaches to others working on the same or related projects, as appropriate.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
A. Degree: in one or a combination of astronomy, physics, mathematics, space science, or electronics. The course work must have included differential and integral calculus and 12 semester hours in astronomy and/or physics. OR
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 30 semester hours of courses equivalent to a major in any combination of astronomy, space science, physics, mathematics, and electronics, with required course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below:
Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the grade 09 that should demonstrate work in a related field of research.
C. A combination of successfully completed graduate level education and experience equivalent to the above.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply, please visit: USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.