The employee is responsible for providing specialized electronics technical support and assistance to the SMA in the testing, troubleshooting, and documentation of electronic, electrical, and electromechanical systems, with emphasis on present and future analog and digital systems.
- Maintain and repair the SMA analog and digital electronic systems. Replace faulty modules. Diagnose and repair module faults to the component level.
- Design and fabricate complex electronic and mechanical assemblies consisting of chassis, cables, connectors (MS, D, IDC, SMA, N, and other styles), power supplies, junction boxes, terminal strips, and multi-layer circuit boards from schematics and developed design specifications. Prepare documentation of systems as designed and
- Perform test procedures to calibrate, measure, and update digital and analog module performance.
- Operate and adapt software to test and evaluate analog and digital electronics.
- Oversee digital electronics laboratory. Track and ensure spare correlator and RaspberryPi modules are operational. Ensures routine laboratory supplies are ordered as needed.
One year of full-time experience at the GS-9 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such as technical support for state of the art digital systems, operating high-speed digital oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers, and good hands-on electronic skills to isolate and repair faults in multi-layered boards with a wide range of ICs such as FPGAs, ASICs and DSPs.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/electronics-technical-series-0856/
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Application Procedures: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply please visit USAJOBS.
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.