AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all qualified candidates residing in the local commuting area.
Note: First consideration may be made after 14 days after the opening of this vacancy.
This is the position of Mail Clerk/Messenger (Motor Vehicle Operator), Financial Management Department. The Mail Clerk (Motor Vehicle Operator) will maintain the flow of mail between SAO and the US Post Office, between all SAO Cambridge locations and between Cambridge and specific destinations.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
1. Drives SAO vehicles to collect, transport and deliver mail and materials. Operates vehicles in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures, following state and location regulations.
2. Accepts packages from UPS, Federal Express, DHL, etc., and acknowledges delivery and verifies the contents against a purchase order, logs packages in using a receiving report.
3. Picks up regular, certified, registered and express mail and packages from the U.S. Post Office, using a motor vehicle provided by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. Sorts regular, certified, registered and express mail and packages into 60 mail stops and multiple office locations with the SAO Cambridge area. Delivers U.S. Mail, interoffice correspondence and packages from Federal Express, UPS, etc., to SAO employees at all 4 SAO and other remote locations in the area as designated, using prescribed route and a motor vehicle and obtaining signatures, when necessary.
4. Collects outgoing mail, interoffice correspondence and packages from all SAO Cambridge locations and delivers them to the SAO mailroom, where those are weighed, affixed with postage and makes other postage decisions and determinations on several different types of mail and packages going to the U.S. Post Office, Federal Express, UPS, etc.
5. Identifies via vendor labeling hazardous materials/chemicals as they arrive from vendors via courier, only accepting those that are able to be safely transported per regulations and direction from the Environmental Health and Safety Contractor. Packages and transports these materials to the intended recipient in accordance with direction from the Environmental Health and Safety Contractor.
6. Other duties as requested.
Candidates must have at least one year of general experience.
General experience is progressively responsible clerical, office, mail delivery work, or other work which shows that you have the ability to obtain the knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of this position.
Education may be substituted for experience. GS04: two years of education above the high school level.
Combination of Experience and Education: You may combine education and general experience to meet the total requirements for this position.
Application Procedures: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply please visit USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.