AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all candidates eligible to work in the United States.
Note: First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date. Selection for this position to be made at the grade 09 level. Candidates may be non-competitively promoted to grade 11 upon the recommendation of the supervisor based on classification requirements, satisfactory performance, and employee qualifications.
This is the position of IT Specialist (Customer Support/System Administration), Computation Facility, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to provide desktop system support and customer support to CfA users in computer, voice, and network services.
- Handling ServiceNow Request/Incident Flow, including email and phone.
- Account management for staff onboarding and other password management.
- Support for basic configuration of Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS endpoints (including BYOD) for WiFi, VPN/remote access, and Multi-factor authentication.
- Manages the CF Poster Printing facility, including fulfilling customer requests for posters.
- Provides instruction assistance to users in resolving common problems encountered in using collaborative tools at CfA, including e-mail, printing, basic security, network connectivity including wired, wireless, and VPN, and installing standard CfA licensed software packages.
- A/V support for weekly events and meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Candidates for grade 09 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to grade 07 in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position such as ServiceNow or equivalent ITSM system experience, ability to configure and troubleshoot Mac and Windows networking and experience with Mac and Windows desktop support.
All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions. Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Grade 09: master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree
For the latest information on the COVID-19 vaccination requirements and its impact on your application, click on Smithsonian Institution’s Frequently Asked Questions
Application Procedures: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply please visit USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.
Visit the SAO website at http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/