COVID-19 update:The observatories have mostly returned to normal operation and welcome astronomers. Please review Observatory policies for current travel guidance.
6.5m MMT telescope, located on Mt Hopkins in Arizona. Approximately 27 dark + 15 grey + 27 bright nights are currently available to CfA Scientists per 6 month semester.
6.5m Magellan telescopes, located on Las Campanas in Chile. Approximately 9 dark + 6 grey + 9 bright nights are currently available to CfA Scientists on each telescope per 6 month semester.
Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory (FLWO), located on Mt Hopkins in Arizona. The 1.2m telescope is dedicated to imaging; the 1.5m telescope is dedicated to spectroscopy. Approximately 66 dark + 33 grey + 66 bright nights are available on each telescope per 6 month semester.
- Available? The availability of instruments is indicated below. PI instruments generally require the permission of the PI to propose and use.
- Queue? MMT and FLWO instruments are mostly run in queue mode by the observatories, Magellan instruments are not. For instruments run in a queue, PI's submit their observing plan and target catalog before the scheduled observing run.
- Remote? MMT Blue Channel, and now most Magellan instruments, can be operated by PI's remotely via internet.
- Service? MMT and FLWO queue instruments are run by service observers at the observatories. At Magellan, we now have a service observer available to CfA PIs; the expectation is that the service observer will observe most Magellan nights unless PIs choose otherwise.
|Optical||KeplerCam - CCD imager||YES||YES||no||robot|
|Optical||FAST - moderate dispersion single-slit spectrograph||YES||YES||no||YES|
|TRES - high dispersion single-fiber echelle spectrograph||YES||YES||no||YES|
|Optical||Binospec - moderate dispersion multi-slit spectrograph and imager||YES||YES||no||YES|
|Hectospec - moderate dispersion 300-fiber spectrograph||YES*||YES||no||YES|
|Hectochelle - high dispersion 240-fiber echelle spectrograph||YES*||YES||no||YES|
|Blue Channel - moderate dispersion single-slit spectrograph||YES||no||YES||no|
|MMT Cam - small field-of-view imager||YES||YES||no||YES|
|SPOL - imaging spectropolarimeter||Contact PI|
|Near-IR||MMIRS - multi-slit spectrograph and imager||YES||YES||no||YES|
|ARIES - adaptive optics imager and spectrograph||no**|
|MMT-Pol - imaging polarimeter||no**|
* Hectospec/chelle are rarely scheduled in Dec-Jan because of a low-temperature operational limit.
** MMT Adaptive Optics System is offline for upgrades; it may be available for proposals in 2024.
|6.5m Magellan I = Baade||Available?||Queue?||Remote?||Service?|
|Optical||IMACS - moderate dispersion multi-slit spectrograph and imager||YES||no||YES||YES|
|MagE - moderate dispersion single-slit echellette spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|Near-IR||FourStar - wide-field imager||YES||no||YES||YES|
|FIRE - high dispersion single-slit echelle spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|6.5m Magellan II = Clay|
|Optical||Megacam - wide-field imager||YES||no||YES||YES|
|LDSS-3 - moderate dispersion multi-slit spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|LLAMAS - moderate dispersion integral field spectrograph||Contact PI|
|MIKE - high dispersion single-slit echelle spectrograph||YES||no||YES||YES|
|M2FS - fiber fed multi-object spectrograph (planning) (reductions)||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|IFUM - integral field unis for M2FS||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|PFS - high dispersion single-slit echelle spectrograph||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|PISCO - parallel imager||Contact PI||YES||YES|
|Near-IR||WINERED - Warm INfrared Echelle spectrograph||Contact LCO|
|MagAO - adaptive optics imager(s)||Contact PI|
[Updated March 7, 2023 by WRB.]